Koken CMS reprogrammed from scratch
For many years, I'm using Koken CMS for my photo websites. Koken is a great self-hosted content management and website publishing system for photographers, designers, and artists. After publication it quickly became popular due to its clear and well-organized backend despite never leaving beta status. Unfortunately, there have been no more updates for Koken since 2017 and some parts of the ecosystem like the community (forum) and the documentation went offline. Furthermore, the company does not respond to mails anymore. Parts of my Koken installation already stopped working due to issues with new php versions. Therefore, I decided to reprogram the frontend and backend system from scratch.
Programming a new content management system
- switching to an hosted photography solution (like Photoshelter or Pixpa)
- using a general CMS like WordPress
- reprogram Koken backend by myself
Features of the new content management system
- nested collections (collections are either sets containing albums or albums containing photos)
- articles (with photo galleries) and comments
- categorization and tagging of photos and articles
I'm happy to finally have a maintainable future proof content management system for my photo websites for years to come. Depending on demand, I consider to offer the new system on a freemium basis. Please contact me, if you are interested.
I finally finished the new CMS system as Koken alternative for managing photo portfolio websites called IO200. There is even an automated script that migrates your Koken data. If you are interested, check it out at www.io200.com.